Things Happy People Do (Differently)
- LOVE vs. FEAR. Those who are really happy, FEAR less and LOVE a lot more. They see each moment, each challenge, each person as an opportunity to discover more about themselves and the world around them.
- ACCEPTANCE vs. RESISTANCE. Â Happy people understand that you canâ€™t really change a situation by resisting it, but you can definitely change it by accepting that it is there and by understanding that there might be a reason for its existence. When something unpleasant happens to them, they donâ€™t try to fight it, knowing that this will make the situation even worse, but rather, they ask themselves questions like: What can I learn from this? How can I make this better? and they go from there, focusing on the positive rather than on the negative. They always seem to see the glass half full no matter what happens to them.Â
- FORGIVENESS vs. UNFORGIVENESS. Really happy people know that itâ€™s not healthy to hold on to anger. They choose to FORGIVE and FORGET, understanding that FORGIVENESS is a gift they give to themselves first and foremost.Â
- TRUST vs. DOUBT. They trust themselves and they trust the people around them. No matter if they talk to the cleaning lady or the C.E.O. of a multi billion company, somehow they always seem make the person they are interacting with feel like there is something unique and special about them. They understand that beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecies, and because of that, they make sure to treat everybody with love, dignity and respect, making no distinctions between age, sex, social status, color, religion or race.
- MEANING vs. AMBITION.Â They do the things they do because of the meaning it brings into their lives and because they get a sense of purpose by doing so.Â They understand that â€śDoing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your lifeâ€ť like Wayne Dyer puts it, and they care more about living a life full of meaning rather than, what in our modern society we would call, living a successful life. The irony here is that most of the time they get both, success and meaning, just because they choose to focus on doing the things they love the most and they always pursue their heart desires. They are not motivated by money; they want to make a difference in the lives of those around them and in the world.Â
- PRAISING vs. CRITICIZING. Happy people would probably agree with Carlâ€™s Jung theory on resistance:Â â€śWhat you resist not only persists, but will grow in sizeâ€ť. They donâ€™t criticize the absence of the behavior they want to reinforce, but rather,Â every time the behavior is present, even if itâ€™s not that often,Â they know that by praising the person and the behavior, they will actually reinforce the positive behavior. When a parent wants to make sure that his 7 years old boy will learn to always put the toys back in the box after heâ€™s done playing with them, he will make sure not to focus on the many times the child wonâ€™t do it, criticizing him and his behavior, but rather, every time the little boy does put the toys back, the parent will praise him and his behavior and that is exactly how he willÂ reinforce the positive behavior, and in the endÂ getting the wanted results.
- CHALLENGES vs. PROBLEMS. Happy people will see PROBLEMS as CHALLENGES, as opportunities to explore new ways of doing things, expressing their gratitude for them, understanding that underneath them all lies many opportunities that will allow them to expand and to grow.Â
- SELFLESSNESS vs.Â SELFISHNESS.Â They do what they do not for themselves, but for the good of others, making sure that they bring meaning, empowerment and happiness in the lives of many. They look for ways to give and to share the best of themselves with the world and to make other people happy.Â Â Â
- ABUNDANCE vs. LACK/POVERTY. They have an abundant mindset living a balanced life, achieving abundance in all areas of life.
- DREAMING BIG vs. BEING REALISTIC. These people donâ€™t really care about being realistic. They love and dare to dream big, they always listen to their heart and intuition and the greatness of theirÂ accomplishmentsÂ scares many of us.
- KINDNESS vs. CRUELTY. They are kind to themselves and others and they understand the power of self love, self forgiveness and self acceptance.
- GRATITUDE vs. INGRATITUDE.Â No matter where they look, no matter where they are or with who, they have this capacity of seeing beauty where most of us would only see ugliness, opportunities, where most of us would only see struggles, abundance where most of us would only see lack and they express their gratitude for them all.
- PRESENCE/ ENGAGEMENT vs. DISENGAGEMENT. They know how to live in the present moment, appreciating what they have and where they are, while still having big dreams about the future.
- POSITIVITY vs. NEGATIVITY. No matter what happens to them, they always seem to keep a positive perspective on everything and by doing so, they tend irritate a lot of negative and â€śrealisticâ€ť people.
- TAKING RESPONSIBILITY vs. BLAMING. They take full ownership over their lives and they rarely use excuses. Happy people understand that the moment you choose to blame some outside forces for whatever it is that happens to you, you are in fact giving all your power away, and they choose to keep the power for themselves and takingÂ responsibilityÂ for everything that happens to them.